Thursday, July 2, 2009

Talia Turns One!!

Our Talia is one year old!! I think this has been the fastest year of my life. At the risk of being cliche, it seems like we just brought her home from the hospital. It seems like we just brought Kenzie home. So here's Talia's cake. As you can see I really knocked myself out. My friend, Carrie, made for her daughters first birthday, a 2-tiered masterpiece with rolled fondant flowers and ribbon and a teddybear on top - It was amazing. It was also made from scratch in flavors so fancy I can't remember what they were. In an effort to be non-competitive I went for the understated pyrex baking dish (81/2 X 11) with store bought frosting and cake from a mix. There are sprinkles. Jade put them on.

See that trench on the top of the cake? The one that looks like wild dogs tore through my kitchen and discovered cake. Bowen helped himself to some cake before I frosted it. Typical. Consequently, the cake looks better in the dark.

We have never owned a high-chair. It's true. Never bought one. We discussed it briefly before Tali got to the planet and we decided that if we didn't need it for the first 3 we certainly don't need it for number 4. We stuck her in the swing for her birthday cake pics. How funny is this?! It was like watching pigs in a trough :) I love first birthdays.

She looks a little dazed here because of the camera flash. Let me assure you this was a look of supreme contentment and utter bliss. Cake, Frosting, Nudity - does it get any better than that?

Let's not forget the presents!! Tali is a little confused by this toy. Bowen, however, thinks it's the coolest thing ever - right after Thomas the Tank Engine, of course.
So, at one year old Tali is.....
Almost walking. Well, walking combined with falling and getting back up. She doesn't really say anything that resembles a word. Except for when she was screaming at 2am the other morning. Some of those wails/shreeks could have been alternately 'mom' or 'dad'. She likes bananas the best. She will finally take a bottle in the daytime - but not at night. She is super friendly and will wave and smile at anyone. She loves other babies and she absolutely adores the kitten. It's so fun to come home to Talia - she's always SO happy and excited to see us. It's positively infectious. We love her so much!!

We had perfect Rainbow weather for Tali's birthday! So here is our cute little house with a big rainbow over it. I think rainbows are one of the greatest simple pleasures in life and to see one that's complete is an extra treat!!

3 comments:

Diana said...

Amy, you crack me up. I love your writing style and as far as the whole cake issue I am glad there is one aspect in your live that you can just sit back, relax and not be so competitive:) You are one of the most dedicated and determined people I know. Happy Birthday to your sweet baby.

Carrie said...

I love to eat birthday cake in the buff too!

RickAndGina said...

I can't believe she is 1! I have that picture on my blog of you at 8 months standing belly to belly with Rick! She isn't our little chubby baby either. She looks like she is starting to get longer like the rest of them.