Tuesday, April 28, 2009

ROAD TRIP!!!! Part One.

My friend Carrie and I have been going on "Girl's Week" road trips at least once a year since 2003. And if I do say so, we are AWESOME at it! The planning of these road trips begins with one simple question: What race do you want to run? This year, I'm pleased to bring you the chronicles of the Big Sur Marathon/9 miler No Boys Allowed Road Trip :)

Now, on any given adventure, there are certain things that we have come to expect. For example, we almost always get lost. At least once. Never on the way to our destination (distracted mabey, but that's not the same thing). No, really, we get lost - like when we were coming home from Sanfrancisco and ended up in South Lake Tahoe. Don't ask, it's a long (yet entertaining) story. We also know where the absolute worst places to eat are. I'm talking 'get Chef Ramsey on the phone, this is an emergency' BAD. We are currently buoycotting Elko. We also know some unbelievably good places to eat. Another given is that we know where all the good trucker stops are. Like, the one's with the best bathrooms and hand dryers. On this year's voyage we (and by we, I mean 'I') found the worst bathroom EVER. I've been to Mexico 4 times and this California pit stop is the worst thing I've ever seen. It was so bad I took my camera out so I could make snarky remarks about it on my blog.

So this is the sink. It looks like someone kicked in the little doors and then ripped them off. Remarkably, water did come out of it. That silver thing on the sink is the 'key-ring' for the key to the door. Yeah, I had to ask for a nasty key and then walk around to the side of the building to use this bathroom. I HATE that, it's so archaic. Not photographed: the quarter inch of dust on top of the soap dispenser. It did have soap - no paper towels.
This is the floor just inside the door. Yes, that is light shining through the one inch gap in the door jam. In fact, light was shining in around most of the flooring.

This is the door. Can you believe this thing has a lock? So, this is basically two pieces of scrap ply-wood that has been STAPLED together. Note the window that has been broken, covered over with ply-wood and the broken glass left in place. Note the one inch gap that goes all the way around the door. Note the 'employees must wash hands' sticker on the wall.


Toilet that was last cleaned, like, the 12th of NEVER. Yikes!
You may be wondering just how one stumbles across such a gem as this. Well, we were running out of gas. We didn't know where the next gas station was. All we had seen for miles and miles were acres and acres of grape vineyards and orange groves. So we took and exit in search of a gas station and bingo - this is what you get.



3 comments:

The LeBaron's said...

aren't you glad you survived the truck stop to blog about it? It looks like something off of Texas chainsaw massacre.

Camille said...

Oh, Amy! That's bad enough to make a girl seriously consider heading back for a pit stop in the vineyard!

The G-Funk! said...

Yuck!!! But I like your idea of a girls road trip. That would be fun.